Keep Fall Fire Free
The fall season brings cooler temperatures, beautiful colors, and an abundance of outdoor activities. But the season also brings many fire risks. Plan ahead this season to help ensure it is safe and fire-free.
Fall decorations, like dried flowers, leaves and cornstalks, are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations away from open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters. Since these items are dry, they can ignite very easily and spread flames quickly.
Have A Plan
Be sure you have a Fire Preparedness Plan and your family knows what to do if a fire breaks out in your home. Keep emergency exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes.
Protect your family by teaching your children to stay away from open flames. Be sure they know how to stop, drop, and roll if their clothing catches fire.
Ensure your smoke alarms are in working order and that you have an easily accessible fire extinguisher.
Make Halloween Safe
Remember safety first when choosing a Halloween costume. Consider avoiding billowing fabrics. If you are making your costume, choose material that won’t easily ignite if it comes into contact with heat or a flame.
It is safest to use a flashlight or battery-operated candle in a jack-o-lantern. Use extreme caution if using a real candle. Place lit pumpkins away from anything that can burn, and out of the way of doorsteps, walkways, and yards.
Be Careful in the Kitchen
With the holidays quickly approaching, your kitchen may be working on overdrive. While cooking, it can be easy to get distracted, especially if you have children. However, kitchens are a high-risk area for household fires, so it’s important to remain watchful.
Never leave food unattended while cooking, especially working with oil. Hot grease can splash and ignite. Keep flammable objects, like washcloths, potholders, and paper towels, away from the stovetop.
If a fire starts in your oven, keep the door closed. Turn it off and wait for the fire to extinguish.
Safely Use Your Fireplace
As the weather turns cold and brisk,fireplaces can bring a warm and inviting atmosphere to any home. However, if fireplaces are not properly cared for, they can lead to an increased fire and smoke risk. Make sure your fireplace is clean and well maintained and never left unattended when lit.